The next time you encounter someone who is a vegetarian and you have the occasion to debate this fact with them, share with them the following.
If we look at ONLY products taken from the processing of cattle and beef we find the following:
For as long as animals have been used for food, by-products have been important to humans. Cattle provide us with many by-products parts of the cow other than beef- which are used to create industrial, household, health, and food products, many of which you consume or use every day:
In addition to basic cuts of beef, which by itself is an excellent source of protein, energy, minerals and vitamins, an important common food component is gelatin. Gelatin comes from the connective tissue of cattle and is used to make many of the foods we often eat such as candies, dairy products, desserts, diet products, jellies and marshmallows.
You might be surprised to learn the number of products in your home made with cattle by-products. No matter where you live, you likely have several of the following products in your home made from fats and proteins:
- Floor Wax
- Photographic film
- Shaving Cream
- Synthetic Rubber
Since cattle are organically similar to humans, our bodies easily accept medication or a treatment made with animal components:
- Blood factors (for treating hemophilia, killing viruses and making anti-rejection drugs).
- Chymotrypsin (promotes healing of burns and wounds).
- Collagen (used in plastic surgery and to make non-stick bandages).
- Cortisol (anti-inflammatory).
- Glucagon (treats hypoglycemia or low blood sugar).
- Heparin (anticoagulant used to treat blood clots).
- Insulin (for treating diabetes or high blood sugar).
- Pancreatin (aids in digestion of food).
- Thrombin (coagulant which helps blood clot).
- Vasopressin (controls intestinal and renal functions).
- Vitamin B-12 (prevention of B-Complex deficiencies).
Cowhides provide us with leather, which is used to make clothing, shoes, boots, belts, purses, wallets, gloves, luggage, and automobile and furniture upholstery.
Cattle by-products help us to get us where we’re going- whether it’s by land, air or sea:
- Antifreeze contains glycerol derived from fat.
- Asphalt contains a binding agent from beef fat.
- Beef fats and proteins are used to make auto and jet lubricants, outboard engine oil, high performance greases, and brake fluid.
- Glue from beef protein is used in automobile bodies.
- Tires have stearic acid, which makes rubber hold its shape
So as you can see, it is virtually impossible to live our lives without the use of animal (beef) products in some manner. Anyone who says they don’t. . . .just doesn’t understand.